This medication is a bile acid sequestrant, prescribed for high cholesterol. This medication reduces cholesterol level in the blood.
Contraindicated in patients with intestinal obstruction and hypersensitivity.
PO- Initial: 1 scoop or single-use packet (4 g anhydrous cholestyramine) daily to twice daily. Maintenance: 2 to 4 packets or scoops daily, divided into 2 doses.
Children - PO- usual dose is 240 mg/kg/day.
It comes as a powder with dosage measurement cup or in individual dose packets to take by mouth with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, chest pain, stomach, intestinal or gallbladder disease, phenylketonuria (genetic disorder), any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Monitor lipid and cholesterol levels and prothrombin time regularly while taking this medication.
• Skin :
Skin irritation and rash.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, bloating, stomach pain, gas, stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, heartburn and indigestion.
• Blood : Bleeding tendencies related to vitamin K deficiency and folic acid deficiency.
• Metabolic-Nutritional : Fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies, acidity and osteoporosis.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20°-25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Trichotillomania is a hair pulling disorder where a person urges to pull out hair from their scalp, ...
Dental Anxiety is kind of dental phobia where a person has a fear of going to dentist mainly due to ...
Kleine Levin (KLS) or sleeping beauty syndrome is a rare neurological disorder that primarly ...View All