This medication is an anticoagulant (thrombin inhibitor) agent prescribed for thrombosis treatment in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (low platelet levels).
Contraindicated in patients with severe bleeding, who are taking metronidazole, disulfiram, or heparin and hypersensitivity.
IV- Initial Dosage: An infusion should be started at 25 mcg/kg/min and a bolus of 350 mcg/kg over 3 to 5 minutes. It may be adjusted if needed.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, blood disorder, stroke, stomach or intestinal problem, low platelet counts (thrombocytopenia), high blood pressure, liver disease, who are taking other medications, any allergy, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may cause bleeding or bruising, avoid injury.
Difficulty in breathing and cough.
• Heart: Low blood pressure, heart arrest, nausea and fast heart rate.
• Genitourinary: Urinary tract infection and abnormal kidney function.
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, vomiting, infection and abdominal pain.
• Miscellaneous: Fever, sepsis and stroke.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25°C), and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!