This medication is a platelet-reducing agent prescribed for thrombocythemia. This medication works by slowing the production of platelets in the body.
Contraindicated in patients with severe liver disease, and hypersensitivity.
Adult- The recommended starting dose is 0.5 mg qid or 1 mg bid (2 capsules of 0.5 mg twice a day) and can be increased to 4 times daily.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart, lung, liver, or kidney problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication and get up slowly from bed.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• It may reduce platelet counts; avoid injury or bruising.
• Monitor liver function, kidney function, blood pressure, and complete blood cell counts regularly while taking this medication.
• Most Common :
Headache, palpitations, diarrhea, weakness, fluid retention, nausea, abdominal pain, dizziness, difficulty in breathing, flatulence, vomiting, fever, swelling in the extremities, rash, hives, chest pain, loss of appetite, fast heart rate, inflammation of pharynx, uneasiness, tingling, back pain, itching and indigestion.
• Body as a Whole : Flu symptoms, rapid weight gain, chills, pain, burning, or tingling in the hands or feet, weakness or numbness of an arm or leg and photosensitivity.
• Heart : Abnormal heart rhythm, bleeding, high blood pressure, heart disease, heart failure, postural hypotension, dilatation of blood vessels, migraine and fainting.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, GI distress, GI bleeding, stomach inflammation, blood in stool, mouth ulcer, eructation.
• Blood : Anemia, decrease in platelets, swelling of lymph nodes.
• Liver : Elevated liver enzymes.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint pain, muscle pain and leg cramps.
• Central Nervous System : Depression, drowsiness, seizures, confusion, sleeplessness, nervousness, and memory loss.
• Metabolic : Dehydration.
• Respiratory : Runny nose, nosebleed, respiratory disease, sinus inflammation, pneumonia, and asthma.
• Skin : Skin disease, itching and hair loss.
• Eye and ENT : Abnormal vision, ringing in the ear, visual field abnormality, double vision, cough, slow or difficult speech, ringing in the ears.
• Genitourinary : Painful urination and blood in urine.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25°C), and in an airtight container away from light and moisture.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!