This medication is a muscle relaxant, prescribed for angina pectoris. It works by dilating blood vessels.
Contraindicated in patients with cerebral hemorrhage (stroke), increased eye pressure, recent head injury, during pregnancy.
Adult - Inhalation 0.3 mL as needed; 2 to 6 inhalations from 1 capsule are usually sufficient. May be repeated in 3 to 5 min.
It comes as a capsule for inhalation; inhale by mouth as directed by your physician.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of chest pain, drug abuse, methemoglobin reductase deficiency, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, and breastfeeding women.
• It may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or fainting while standing or drinking alcohol. Avoid alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
• Do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Amyl nitrite is very flammable.
• This medication comes in a glass capsule covered by a protective cloth. The cloth covering allows you to crush the glass capsule between your fingers without cutting yourself.
• Common :
Headache, dizziness and flushing.
• Miscellaneous : Fainting, feeling of excitement, involuntary passing of urine and feces, relaxation of involuntary muscles, low blood pressure, pallor, cold sweat, fast heart rate, shortness of breath, restlessness, weakness, vomiting and nausea.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it in a cold place (2°-8°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!