This combination medication belongs to central nervous system stimulants class, prescribed for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) with counseling and special education. It is also used to treat narcolepsy.
Contraindicated in patients with hardening of the arteries, blood vessel disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, overactive thyroid, increased eye pressure, mood or mental problems, heart diseases, alcohol abuse, within 14 days following the administration of monoamine oxidase inhibitors and hypersensitivity.
The recommended dose is 20 mg/day.
Adolescents: Initial: The recommended dose is 10 mg/day. The dose may be increased to 20 mg/day after one week if needed.
In children from 3 to 5 years of age, PO 2.5 mg/day; may be increased weekly by 2.5 mg.
Children 6 yr of age or older IR: PO 5 mg once or twice daily; may be increased weekly by 5 mg to max of 40 mg/day in divided doses. Usual range: 0.1 to 0.5 mg/kg/dose in the morning.
Child: Initial: The recommended dose is 10 mg once daily in the morning. It may be increased if needed. The maximum recommended dose for children is 30 mg/day.
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Most frequent:
Loss of appetite, sleeplessness, weight loss, emotional lability, depression, anxiety, headache, weakness, paresthesia and fast pounding, or uneven heart rate.
• General: Abdominal pain, (stomach ache), fever, infection, accidental injury and fatigue.
• Heart: Palpitations, elevation of blood pressure, myocardial infarction rate.
• Gastrointestinal: Dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, nausea and indigestion.
• Liver: Impotence, changes in libido.
• Eye: Blood shot eyes, dilated pupils and blurred vision.
• Central Nervous System: Nervousness, feeling light-headed, fainting, tremor, restlessness, irritability, hallucinations, unusual behavior, and dizziness.
• Metabolic : Weight loss.
Avoid abrupt withdrawal and excess dosage.
Patient may develop with serious effects such as heart attack, stroke and sudden death in patients with heart defects. Before taking this medication, consult with your doctor.
Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may lead to addiction.
Store it at controlled room temperature (25° C).