This combination medication contains semisynthetic antibiotic amoxicillin and β-lactamase inhibitor, prescribed for lower respiratory infections, otitis media, sinusitis, urinary tract infections, and skin and skin Structure infections.
Contraindicated in patients with previous history of cholestatic jaundice/liver dysfunction, and hypersensitivity.
Adults- The usual adult dose is one amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tablet, 500 mg/125 mg every 12 hours or one amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium tablet, 250 mg/125 mg every 8 hours.
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or kidney disease, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may cause secondary infection.
• ♦ It may increase prothrombin time; monitor it regularly while taking this medication.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, indigestion, stomach inflammation, mouth ulcer and intestinal bleeding.
• Hypersensitivity: Skin rashes, itching, hives, angioedema and serum sickness-like reactions.
• Liver: Elevated liver enzyme levels.
• Genitourinary: Kidney inflammation, and blood in urine.
• Central Nervous System: Agitation, anxiety, behavioral changes, confusion, convulsion, dizziness, sleeplessness and reversible hyperactivity.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!