Acetohexamide is used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus for controlling the high blood sugar level together with diet and exercise.
It stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin and hence it should not be used in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
PO- The recommended dose is 250-1500 mg two times per day; Maximum- 1500 mg/day.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney or liver disease, thyroid disorder, heart disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Patient may experience low blood sugar with the following symptoms: extreme weakness, blurred vision, sweating, trouble speaking, tremor, stomach pain, confusion, seizure, or coma. If it is so consult with your doctor.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Most Common :
Swelling, rapid weight gain, increased urination, pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion, weakness.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, low fever, clay-colored stools, jaundice.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, drowsiness.
• Miscellaneous : Fever, sore throat and headache.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!