Abciximab blocks the sticking of platelets together and protects the arteries by reducing the formation of thrombus or blood clot.
It is used mainly during coronary artery procedures such as angioplasty with or without stent placement to prevent complications of the heart.
• Active bleeding
• Recent bleeding due to surgery, bleeding from the digestive tract or from other sites, stroke due to a bleed
• Increased risk for bleeding due to bleeding/clotting disorders, very high blood pressure, brain tumor, etc.
• Allergic reaction
• Before procedures on the heart like angioplasty. It is given in a dose of 0.25mg/kg into the vein 10-60 minutes before the procedure, followed by an infusion of 0.125 µg/kg/min up to a maximum of 10 µg/min for 12 hours .
• Treatment of heart attack, stroke due to a blood clot
Injected into the vein by a healthcare provider.
• Platelet counts, bleeding and clotting times should be monitored before and during treatment
• May cause excess bleeding when administered with other drug with bleeding as side effects. e.g. aspirin, warfarin, t-PA (tissue plasminogen activator) which is used to break clots
• As tendency to bleed is possible, using of a soft toothbrush or electric razor is advised.
• In case of overdose, call a poison control center or an emergency center for an appropriate treatment.
Store at 2 to 8°C. Discard any unused portion left in the vial.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!