This medication is an oral antihypertensive/diuretic, prescribed for hypertension and edema. It helps the kidneys to eliminate large amounts of water and salts.
Contraindicated in patients with absence of urination (anuria) and severe liver impairment.
Adult: PO- HTN: 1.25-2.5 mg once daily. Edema 2.5 mg once daily, up to 5 mg/day after 1 week if needed.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of abnormal heart rhythm, diabetes, gout, kidney, liver, thyroid or parathyroid disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may affect blood electrolyte level with the following symptoms: decreased urination, dry mouth, fainting, fast or irregular heartbeat, increased thirst, muscle pain, weakness, cramping or restlessness. If it is so consult with your doctor.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may cause sunburn.
• Monitor blood sugar, blood electrolyte, glucose, uric acid levels and kidney function regularly while taking this medication.
• Body As A Whole :
Headache, weakness, infection, abdominal pain, back pain and chest pain.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, gastric irritation, abdominal pain or cramps and loss of appetite.
• Metabolic : Swelling in the extremities.
• Central Nervous System : Nervousness, dizziness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, fatigue, loss of energy, lethargy, tiredness, sleeplessness, muscle cramps, numbness of the extremities, depression, tension, anxiety, irritability and agitation.
• Respiratory : Cough and inflammation of upper respiratory tract.
• Eye : Eye inflammation and blurred vision.
• Heart : Low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat and palpitations.
• Genitourinary : Frequency of urination and nighttime urination.
• Skin : Rash, hives and itching.
• Miscellaneous : Impotence, reduced sexual activity, runny nose and weight loss.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (20 to 25°C), and in an airtight container.
Cholestatic jaundice occurs when the flow of bile (chole) between the liver and small intestine is ...
Opportunistic infections are microbial infections that can cause disease in persons with a weak ...
The state health insurance programs provide health care support to the below poverty line (BPL) ...View All