Generic Name : Indapamide Pronunciation : in dap' a mide Therapeutic Classification : Diuretics ICD Code : Y54.5
India- Cgmide Tab, Diurix Sr-Tab, Diurix Tab, Divret Tab, Fanton Sr-Film-Coated Tab, Fanton Sugar-Coated Tab, Inat Film-Coated Tab, Indacard Sr-Tab, Indap Sr-Tab, Indap Tab, Indicontin Cr-Cap, Ind-Sr Sr-Tab, In-Sr Sr-Tab, Inzu Sr-Tab, Lorvas Sr-Tab, Lorvas Tab, Natrilix Sr-Tab, Natrilix Tab, Perifer Tab, Tebemid.
International- Lozol. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is an oral antihypertensive/diuretic, prescribed for hypertension and edema. It helps the kidneys to eliminate large amounts of water and salts. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with absence of urination (anuria) and severe liver impairment.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Adult: PO- HTN: 1.25-2.5 mg once daily. Edema 2.5 mg once daily, up to 5 mg/day after 1 week if needed. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of abnormal heart rhythm, diabetes, gout, kidney, liver, thyroid or parathyroid disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* It may affect blood electrolyte level with the following symptoms: decreased urination, dry mouth, fainting, fast or irregular heartbeat, increased thirst, muscle pain, weakness, cramping or restlessness. If it is so consult with your doctor.
* Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may cause sunburn.
* Monitor blood sugar, blood electrolyte, glucose, uric acid levels and kidney function regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Body As A Whole - Headache, weakness, infection, abdominal pain, back pain and chest pain.
Gastrointestinal - Constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, nausea, vomiting, gastric irritation, abdominal pain or cramps and loss of appetite.
Metabolic - Swelling in the extremities.
Central Nervous System - Nervousness, dizziness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, fatigue, loss of energy, lethargy, tiredness, sleeplessness, muscle cramps, numbness of the extremities, depression, tension, anxiety, irritability and agitation.
Respiratory - Cough and inflammation of upper respiratory tract.
Eye - Eye inflammation and blurred vision.
Heart - Low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat and palpitations.
Genitourinary - Frequency of urination and nighttime urination.
Skin - Rash, hives and itching.
Miscellaneous - Impotence, reduced sexual activity, runny nose and weight loss.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (20 to 25°C), and in an airtight container.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert