Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) is an arbovirus disease of the Genus Flavivirus.
The disease is caused by one of four closely related, but antigenically distinct, virus serotypes (DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3, and DEN-4).
Due to serotype specificity infection with one serotype does not provide cross-protective immunity to other serotype, so persons are theoretically susceptible to have four dengue infections during their lifetime.
Dengue viruses are transmitted from person to person by a domestic mosquito called - Aedes aegypti.
Infection with dengue viruses causes clinical illness ranging from a less dangerous non-specific viral syndrome called 'Dengue fever' to severe and fatal hemorrhagic disease of 'Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF)'.
The severity and risk factors for DHF depends upon:
- Strain and serotype of the infecting virus
- Immune status
- Genetic predisposition of the patient. Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) is the most severe form of dengue, which can be fatal if unrecognized and not properly treated; DHF is caused by infection with the same viruses that cause dengue.
Latest Publications and Research on Dengue / Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever
- A survey of clinical and laboratory characteristics of dengue fever epidemic from 2014 to 2018 in Guangzhou, China. - Published by PubMed
- Temperature-dependent variation in the extrinsic incubation period elevates the risk of vector-borne disease emergence. - Published by PubMed
- High prevalence of Phasi Charoen-like virus from wild-caught Aedes aegypti in Grenada, W.I. as revealed by metagenomic analysis. - Published by PubMed
- Knockdown resistance mutations contributing to pyrethroid resistance in Aedes aegypti population, Saudi Arabia. - Published by PubMed
- Role of climatic factors in the incidence of dengue in Port Sudan City, Sudan. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, August 05). Dengue and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 29, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/dengue.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Dengue and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever". Medindia. Jun 29, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/dengue.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Dengue and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/dengue.htm. (accessed Jun 29, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Dengue and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. Medindia, viewed Jun 29, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/waterborne/dengue.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
1 year experience
3 years experience
Communicable Disease Hospital, Anna nagar, Chennai
3 years experience