What are the uses of Ultrasound?
Ever since the introduction of the technique in the 1930ís the application of ultrasound to assess the health of an individual has only been increasing. Ultrasound can be used to scan any region of your body. Some of the most common uses of ultrasound are the following.
- Confirmation of a viable pregnancy and assessment of progress during the same.
- Detection of developmental/ structural abnormalities in the fetus
- Diagnosis of gallbladder disease/ obstruction
- Evaluation of blood flow in blood vessels
- Assessment of the thyroid gland in your neck
- Evaluation of the heart and diagnosis of cardiac problems
- Revealing the presence of infection in a specific area of the body
- Determination of abnormal structures/ growth in a particular area
Example: Cysts, abnormal growth, tumor etc.
- Revealing abnormalities in the reproductive organs
In some cases, certain invasive procedures can be performed under ultrasound guidance. For example, if there is a large fluid collection within the kidney, it can be drained through a small puncture made through the skin.
A majority of the ultrasound examinations are non invasive. However, in some cases, the ultrasound transducer may be inserted into an existing/natural opening in your body to get additional information.
The transducer is inserted into a man's rectum to view the prostate.
The transducer is inserted into a woman's vagina to view the uterus and ovaries.
The transducer is inserted in your esophagus to obtain images of the heart.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2013, October 05). Uses Of Ultrasound. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultrasound_uses.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Uses Of Ultrasound". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultrasound_uses.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Uses Of Ultrasound". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultrasound_uses.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Uses Of Ultrasound. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultrasound_uses.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Radiologist for your problem? Ask your question
11 years experience
Shukla hospital - Ultrasound and Diagnostic Centre, Dharamshala