General Info About Tinnitus
Tinnitus is the perception of
In Latin, ‘tinnire’ means ‘to ring’.
Tinnitus is not a disease. It is a symptom that can be caused by a number of medical conditions. Tinnitus can arise in any of the four sections of the hearing system - the outer ear, the middle ear, the inner ear and the brain.
Damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear is the most common cause of
It affects 1 in 5 of the world's population, and touches over 33% of the elderly community. It may be intermittent or constant in character; mild or severe in intensity; vary from a low roar to a high-pitch sound so deafening that the individual may hear nothing else. It may be subjective (audible only to the patient) or may be objective (which is audible to others). It may or may not be associated with a hearing impairment.
Tinnitus can be an extremely disturbing condition. It is not a serious problem in most of the cases, but rather a nuisance that may go away with time. Rarely, tinnitus represents a serious health condition. Most patients benefit with the use of maskers or
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 25). Tinnitus - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnose - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Nov 30, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/tinnitus.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Tinnitus - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnose - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. Nov 30, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/tinnitus.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Tinnitus - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnose - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/tinnitus.htm. (accessed Nov 30, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Tinnitus - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnose - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia, viewed Nov 30, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/tinnitus.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Tinnitus
- [A pilot study of transcranial alternating current stimulation in the treatment of drug-naive adult patients with major depressive disorder]. - Published by PubMed
- Auditory Brainstem Response in Patients with Tinnitus Associated with Vitamin B12 Deficiency. - Published by PubMed
- Prevalence of visual snow syndrome in the UK. - Published by PubMed
- Tinnitus-related distress after multimodal treatment can be characterized using a key subset of baseline variables. - Published by PubMed
- Long-term vertigo control after cochlear implantation in patients with end-stage Menière's disease : A retrospective questionnaire-based cross-sectional study. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist for your problem? Ask your question
4 years experience
Trishika ent care, seethamdhara, Visakhapatnam
21 years experience
20 years experience