Is Stress Bad for You?Stress is a physical response of the body that switches to "fight" or 'flight' mode when it thinks it is under attack, releasing a complex mix of hormones and chemicals to protect the person.There is always a misconception that stress is not good for you. Well, let's break the myth: Stress is not always a bad thing as there are several benefits to it. Moderate stress is normal and in fact, helps build your body’s immunity if properly managed.
Beat Stress with HobbiesPeople relieve their stress in different ways. While some prefer talking to someone and letting it all out, others need a quiet space to sort out their thoughts. An easier way to consistently beat stress build up is to take up a hobby that elevates your mood and keeps you happy. Music, dance, gardening and choosing a handicraft hobby are some interesting ways to de-stress yourself.
Why are Hobbies Important to Deal with Stress?Hobbies are an excellent way to spend your spare time on an activity that you enjoy and get a break from your daily routine. Spending time on the activity that you find pleasure in, can improve mental health and wellbeing.Research proves that people with hobbies are less likely to experience stress, low mood, and depression. Outdoors activities can make you feel happier and relaxed while group activities like team sports can also promote communication skills and relationships with others.Your interests may be creative, athletic, academic, or something distinctly personal but what matters is that the hobby you choose should be meaningful and enjoyable.
What are the Health Benefits of Trying a Hobby?
- Reduces stress
- Improves creativity
- Promotes quality sleep
- Reduces risk of metabolic diseases
- Promotes immunity
- Improves focus and memory
Top 11 Hobbies that Help You Deal with Stress1. Try Gardening to Improve MoodGardening has a positive influence on stress and can be a great stress reliever for different reasons like getting you out into the sunshine and fresh air, creating wonderful surroundings to come home to, every day. Bacteria present in soil may activate brain cells to produce serotonin, a neurotransmitter that is similar to an antidepressant which may calm the mind and improve mood, suggest a team of researchers.
- Stress Management - (https://www.stress.org/military/combat-stress/management/)
- What is Stress? - (http://www.stress.org.uk/what-is-stress/)
- 6 Productive Hobbies That Will Help You Release Stress and Relax - (https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/6-productive-hobbies-that-will-help-you-release-stress-and-relax.html)
- Hobbies - (https://headtohealth.gov.au/meaningful-life/purposeful-activity/hobbies)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Iswarya. (2018, September 07). Hobbies that Help You Deal with Stress. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 06, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/hobbies-that-help-you-deal-with-stress.htm.
Iswarya. "Hobbies that Help You Deal with Stress". Medindia. Dec 06, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/hobbies-that-help-you-deal-with-stress.htm>.
Iswarya. "Hobbies that Help You Deal with Stress". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/hobbies-that-help-you-deal-with-stress.htm. (accessed Dec 06, 2022).
Iswarya. 2021. Hobbies that Help You Deal with Stress. Medindia, viewed Dec 06, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/hobbies-that-help-you-deal-with-stress.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Hobbies that Help You Deal with Stress
- [Treatment strategies of patients with transthyretin amyloidosis cardiomyopathy]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the relationship between circular RNA and cardiovascular diseases]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the association between intestinal flora and hypertension]. - Published by PubMed
- [Successful emergency hybrid treatment for aortic rupture in a pregnant patient with congenital aortic coarctation]. - Published by PubMed
- [A case of perforated esophageal ulcer after radiofrequency ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation]. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Psychiatrist for your problem? Ask your question
10 years experience
10 years experience
Jb clinic, Sai castle, Hyderabad
12 years experience
1 year experience