About My Health Careers Internship MedBlogs Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Two-Year-Old Boy Hospitalised After Drinking Toilet Cleaner

by Bidita Debnath on September 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Font : A-A+

 Two-Year-Old Boy Hospitalised After Drinking Toilet Cleaner

A two-year-old boy was admitted to Sir Ganga Ram Hospital (SGRH) after he accidentally drank bathroom cleaner kept in an empty soft drink bottle.

Doctors attending to him fear it may cause some damage to his internal organs.

Advertisement

According to the Hospital where the child is being treated, 20-25 such cases come every year with peak incidence between one and three years of age.

"Acids kept in empty soft-drink and mineral water bottles within the reach of innocent toddlers and children lead to catastrophic accidents," said Nishant Wadhwa, pediatric gastroenterologist, SGRH.
Advertisement

Wadhwa said the time within which a child gets medical attention in such cases matters a lot.

"Due to late referral and absence of timely insertion of feeding tube, a child cannot eat or drink anything. Due to inability to feed, the defence mechanism against infections is compromised, leading to complications," he said.

If not treated, ingestion of small amount (10 ml) can lead to irreversible and permanent damage to food pipe resulting in lifelong inability to eat and drink.

Listing out safety measures, Wadhwa says the poisonous substances should be kept in secure places out of children's reach.

"Potential household poisons should not be transferred to empty containers otherwise used for innocuous food or beverages. The containers should not be left on the ground," he added.

Source: IANS
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
News Category
What's New on Medindia
Printed Temperature Sensors help with Continuous Temperature Monitoring
Health Benefits of Giloy
Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2021 - It's time to RISE
View all

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Diet Lifestyle and Heart Disease Alcohol Addiction and Women 

Recommended Reading
Inquest Hears That Painterís Assistant Died After Consuming Toilet Cleaner
An inquest into the death of painter David Hockney's assistant heard that it was caused after he ......
New Law Hopes to Free India's 'Untouchable' Toilet Cleaners from Manual Scavenging
Widowed grandmother Kela trudges through a stream of sewage, with both hands holding the basket of ....
Healthy Toilet Design by Peter Codling
Peter Codling, a 30 year old post graduate at Innovation Design Engineering has developed a new ......
Bacterial Contamination of Hand-Held Gamesí Controllers Worse Than a Toilet Seat
A new study has found that the hand-held games controllers have five times more bacteria than a ......
Alcohol Addiction and Women
Social drinking amongst women has become a fad. Stop it before it finishes you....

Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

© All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2021

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use