A two year toddler in Manchester is facing the prospect of blindness in one of her eyes after she fell down in dog feces at Platt Fields Park.
As Amiee Langdon ran towards the gate of a fenced off area in the park, she fell down in dog dirt and rubbed her eyes before her mother Suzanne could get to her. Though her mother managed to clean her eyes and wash it, Amiee woke up early in the morning with swollen eyes and was taken to the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital.
Doctors confirmed that she was suffering from toxocariasis, which is carried in dog feces and which could lead to complete blindness or even death if not treated within 72 hours. While Amiee has been released from the hospital, her mother said that the doctors believed she might lose some sight in one of her eyes.
"I hope this extremely upsetting incident makes irresponsible dog owners understand the very real consequences of failing to pick up after their dogs. We are thinking about this little girl and her family and we hope she makes a speedy recovery", he said.