About Careers MedBlog Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Lethal Vulnerability Found in Treatment-Resistant Lung Cancer

by Dr. Trupti Shirole on September 30, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Font : A-A+

 Lethal Vulnerability Found in Treatment-Resistant Lung Cancer

Lung cancer is the number one cancer killer in the United States, responsible for more than 158,000 deaths a year, suggested the National Cancer Institute (NCI).

Researchers working in four labs at UT Southwestern Medical Center have found a chink in a so-called "undruggable" lung cancer's armor - and located an existing drug that might provide a treatment.

Advertisement


The study, published in Nature, describes how the drug Selinexor (KPT-330) killed lung cancer cells and shrank tumors in mice when used against cancers driven by the aggressive and difficult-to-treat KRAS cancer gene. Selinexor is already in clinical trials for treatment of other types of cancer, primarily leukemia and lymphoma but also gynecological, brain, prostate, and head and neck cancers.

The KRAS oncogene is believed to be responsible for about 25% of all lung cancer cases. The five-year survival rate for lung cancer is below 18%. 
Advertisement

Cancers caused by the KRAS mutation have been a target for researchers since the mutation was discovered in humans in 1982. But, due in part to this oncogene's almost impervious spherical shape, no one was able to find an opening for attack, said Dr. Pier Scaglioni, Associate Professor of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern and a contributing author to the study.

Dr. Michael A. White, Adjunct Professor of Cell Biology and senior author of the study, assembled multiple research teams and used robotic machines to create and sift through trays with thousands of cancer cell/potential drug combinations to uncover the KRAS mutation's weakness.

The scientists found that targeting and inactivating the protein XPO1, found in the cell nucleus and used to transport gene products from the nucleus to the cytoplasm, killed most of the KRAS mutant cancer cells.

"We found that inhibiting the XPO1 gene kills lung cancer cells that are dependent on KRAS," Dr. Scaglioni said. "The unexpected coincidence here is that there is an existing drug that will inhibit XPO1."

"We know that this drug hits the XPO1 target in people," added Dr. White, also a research executive at Pfizer Inc. "But we will not know whether the drug will be effective until clinical trials are done, which should be completed in about two years."

Based on the results of this study, Selinexor, developed by Karyopharm Therapeutics, will be the focus of a multicenter lung cancer clinical trial led by UT Southwestern's Dr. David Gerber, Associate Professor of Internal Medicine. That trial is expected to open for enrollment next year.

In preclinical results from cancer cells and mouse models in the Nature study, 83% of the KRAS mutant lung cancers responded to Selinexor. The study found the remaining 17% of lung cancers could be killed by adding a second drug to inhibit YAP1, a gene known to be involved in the promotion of several other cancers.

Here too, there was an existing drug, Verteporfin, which appeared to be effective in blocking YAP1. Verteporfin is currently used to treat blood vessel disorders in the eye.

Source: Newswise
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
What's New on Medindia
Diet and Oral Health: The Sugary Connection May Become Sour
World AIDS Day 2022 - Equalize!
Test Your Knowledge on Sugar Intake and Oral Health
View all
Recommended Reading
News Archive
Date
Category
Advertisement
News Category

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Lung Biopsy Lung Cancer Cancer and Homeopathy Cancer Facts Asbestosis Cancer Tattoos A Body Art Pneumoconiosis Smoking among Women Silicosis 

Most Popular on Medindia

Accident and Trauma Care Sanatogen Hearing Loss Calculator How to Reduce School Bag Weight - Simple Tips Selfie Addiction Calculator Vent Forte (Theophylline) Nutam (400mg) (Piracetam) Drug - Food Interactions Blood - Sugar Chart Calculate Ideal Weight for Infants
This site uses cookies to deliver our services.By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use  Ok, Got it. Close
×

Lethal Vulnerability Found in Treatment-Resistant Lung Cancer Personalised Printable Document (PDF)

Please complete this form and we'll send you a personalised information that is requested

You may use this for your own reference or forward it to your friends.

Please use the information prudently. If you are not a medical doctor please remember to consult your healthcare provider as this information is not a substitute for professional advice.

Name *

Email Address *

Country *

Areas of Interests