This medication is an anti-parasitic, prescribed for trichomoniasis, giardiasis, bacterial vaginosis, and amebiasis. It works by killing sensitive parasites and bacteria.
Contraindicated in patients during first trimester of pregnancy, breastfeeding, and hypersensitivity.
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 2gm once daily for 3 days.
Child- PO- The recommended dose is 30 to 50 mg/kg/day.
Trichomoniasis, Giardiasis, Bacterial Vaginosis- Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 2gm as a single dose.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of nerve, brain, or blood problems; yeast infection, seizures, liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Central Nervous System :
Peripheral neuropathy (numbness, weakness, burning pain), tingling, unsteadiness, incoordination, giddiness, sleeplessness and drowsiness.
• Gastrointestinal : Tongue discoloration, mouth ulcer and diarrhea.
• Hypersensitivity : Hives, itching, rash, flushing, sweating, dryness of mouth, fever, burning sensation, thirst, watery mouth and shock.
• Genitourinary : Darkened urine.
• Heart : Palpitations.
• Blood : Decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
• Miscellaneous : Increased vaginal discharge, mouth infection, liver function abnormalities, joint/muscle pain, and joint inflammation.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!