This medication is a salicylate, prescribed for ulcerative colitis. It decreases inflammation.
Contraindicated in patients with blood disorder porphyria, urinary bowel obstruction and hypersensitivity.
Adults: 3 to 4 g daily in evenly divided doses with dosage intervals not exceeding eight hours.
Children, six years of age and older: 40 to 60 mg/kg of body weight in each 24-hour period, divided into 3 to 6 doses.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of asthma, kidney or liver disease, porphyria, blood problems, or blockage in your intestine or urinary tract, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• Monitor liver function, kidney function, complete blood cell counts, urine tests regularly while taking this medication.
• It should not be used in children less than 2 years old.
• Most Common :
Nausea, indigestion, rash, headache, abdominal pain, vomiting, fever, dizziness, mouth ulcer, itching, abnormal liver function tests, decrease in white blood cells and decrease in platelets.
• Blood : Anemia and bruising.
• Hypersensitivity : Redness of the skin, skin death, shock, hives, hair loss, joint pain, lung inflammation and difficulty in breathing.
• Gastrointestinal : Liver failure, bloody diarrhea, diarrhea, abdominal pain and intestinal inflammation.
• Central Nervous System : Convulsions, sleeplessness, unsteadiness, paralysis, mental depression, unsteadiness, hearing loss, incoordination, hallucinations, ringing in the ear and drowsiness.
• Genitourinary : Absence of urination, kidney inflammation, urinary tract infections, blood in urine and protein in urine.
Avoid excess dosage. Sulfasalazine can cause reduced sperm count in some men which is reversible in 2-3 months after stopping treatment. It also changes the color of the urine and tears making it slightly yellow-orange. Soft Contact lenses may get stained, recommended to use glasses.
Keep this medication in an container and out of the reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Collagen plays a crucial role in glowing skin, strong nails and shiny hair. You can boost collagen ...
CRISPR technology is a simple but potent tool for editing any part of the genome (complete set of ...
FDA recently approved Mogamulizumab-kpkc, a human monoclonal antibody prescribed for adult ...View All