This medication is a phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitor, prescribed for erectile dysfunction (impotence). Erectile dysfunction is the inability to achieve or maintain an erection long enough to perform sexual intercourse. It relaxes the blood vessels in the penis, allowing more blood to enter to achieve an erection. It can also be used in pulmonary arterial hypertension.
Hypersensitivity. Patients concurrently or intermittently using organic nitrates in any form.
PO- 50 mg about 1 hour before sexual intercourse. Adjust dose based on response. Max: 100 mg/dose and not more than once in 24 hour.
Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension- 20 mg 3 times daily.
IV- 10 mg (12.5 mL) administered as a bolus injection 3 times daily.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth and injection to be administered through a vein. To treat pulmonary arterial hypertension it is usually taken three times a day.
• Caution needed when used in patients with anatomical deformation of penis or conditions that may predispose them to priapism i.e. painful persistent erection of the penis (e.g. sickle cell anaemia, myeloma, or leukaemia). Mild, transient, dose-related impairment of colour discrimination (blue/green) may occur.
• May cause liver or severe kidney impairment, bleeding disorders, active peptic ulceration, low blood pressure, recent history of stroke, heart attack, abnormal heart rhythm, chest pain, heart failure, increased blood glucose or retinal disorders.
• May cause sudden loss or decrease in hearing.
Abnormal ECG, chest pain, AV block, cardiac arrest, stroke, heart failure, low blood pressure, poor blood supply, palpitation, postural hypotension, syncope, fast heart rate, cerebrovascular bleeding, heart attack, bleeding from the lung, sudden cardiac death.
• Central Nervous System: Headache, sleeplessness, tingling, dizziness, abnormal dreams, involuntary movement, decreased reflexes, depression, sensory loss, migraine, severe nerve pain, drowsiness, tremor, vertigo, anxiety, seizure, seizure recurrence, temporary memory loss.
• Skin: Flushing, redness of the skin, rash, contact dermatitis, scaling, herpes simplex, itching, skin ulcer, sweating, hives.
• Eye and ENT: Nose bleed, nasal congestion, stuffy nose, abnormal vision, cataract, inflammation of conjunctiva, dry eyes, ear pain, eye bleeding, eye pain, dilation of pupil, photophobia, sudden decrease or loss of hearing, bloodshot appearance, double vision, increased eye pressure, eye burning, redness of eye, retinal vascular disease or bleeding, temporary vision loss/decreased vision, impaired colour vision especially blue- green discrimination.
• Gastrointestinal: Upset stomach, diarrhea, gastric ulcer, dry mouth, difficulty in swallowing, inflammation of esophagus, inflammation of gum, rectal bleeding, sore throat, vomiting.
• Genitourinary: Urinary tract infection, abnormal ejaculation, sexual dysfunction, breast enlargement, genital edema, urinary frequency, urinary incontinence, blood in urine, painful erection, prolonged erection.
• Blood: Anemia, decrease in white blood cells.
• Liver: Abnormal Liver function tests .
• Metabolic: Edema, gout, increase in blood glucose, elevated sodium, uric acid level in blood, peripheral edema, thirst, unstable diabetes.
• Musculoskeletal: Muscle pain, joint pain, bone pain, myasthenia, tendon rupture, inflammation of the fluid-filled sheath.
• Respiratory: Difficulty in breathing, asthma, inflammation of bronchus, larynx, pharynx, increased cough, increased sputum.
• Miscellaneous: Elevated body temperature, abdominal pain, accidental falls, accidental injury, allergic reaction, chest pain, chills, face edema, pain, photosensitivity, shock.
Do not take more than the recommended dose.
Oral: Store at 15-30°C. Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container.