Reslizumab is an interleukin 5 antagonist monoclonal antibody that is prescribed along with other medications as an add-on treatment for asthma in patients above 18 years or in patients with eosinophilic phenotype (1).
The drug mainly acts by reducing the white blood cells which lead to asthma.
Reslizumab is contraindicated in:
• Patients who are allergic to the drug.
• Conditions where patients take it with other prescription medications or nutritional supplements.
• Pregnancy or breastfeeding as it might harm the baby.
The recommended dose of the drug is 3mg/kg to be administered as an intravenous infusion over 20 to 50 minutes once every 4 weeks.
• Reslizumab comes in the form of an intravenous infusion to be administered into the vein.
• Do not administer the drug as an intravenous push or bolus but give it slowly over time.
• Reslizumab should not be used for patients with other eosinophilic conditions and cannot be used for the treatment of
a. Acute bronchospasm (constriction of the bronchioles)
b. Status asthmaticus (extreme forms of continuous asthma attacks).
• Avoid using the drug if there is any signs of parasitic infections.
• Do not discontinue corticosteroid drugs while initiating reslizumab therapy as it might result in withdrawal symptoms.
Side effects of Reslizumab injection may increase :
• Hypersensitivity and Anaphylactic reactions which may result in itching, skin rashes, breathing difficulty, nausea, dizziness, light headedness, swelling of the face or lips.
• Throat pain
• Risk of cancer in long term.
• Do not administer the injection if there is any presence of visible or particulate matter.
• Do not take the injection if you are planning for pregnancy or if you are pregnant to avoid harmful effects on the fetus.
• Consult the doctor before breastfeeding while taking reslizumab injection.
Store the injection in a refrigerator at 2 - 8 °C. Do not freeze or shake the vial. Protect it from excess light by storing it in the original container.
Tourette syndrome (TS) is a neurological disorder wherein the affected person makes repetitive and ...
Some drugs or therapeutic agents cause undesirable reactions in lungs, known as drug-induced ...
Sleep disorders are collectively known as ''Somnipathy.'' There are over 70 different medically ...View All