Pitolisant is used for treating excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) in adults with narcolepsy.
Pitolisant is prescribed for treating excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) in adults with narcolepsy.
Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder in which there are overwhelming daytime drowsiness and sudden attacks of sleep.
1. Hypersensitivity to Pitolisant
2. Severe liver disorders
The recommended dose is 17.8 mg to 35.6 mg daily to be administered daily once in the morning.
Start with 8.9 mg once daily and increase the dosage to 17.8 mg once daily.
The maximum dose is 35.6 mg once daily
In case of missing the dose, patients should take the next dose the next day in the morning immediately after awakening.
1. General: Headache, anxiety, Insomnia
2. Gastrointestinal: Nausea, abdominal pain, decreased appetite
3. Skin: Rash
4. Respiratory: Upper respiratory tract infection
5. Vascular: Increased heart rate
6. Muscles and Joints: Muscle pain
7. Miscellaneous: Hallucinations, irritability etc.
Patients should use caution if they have -
1. Abnormal ECG like more QT interval (heart problems)
2. Abnormal heart rhythm
3. In moderate liver impairment, initiate the drug at 8.9 mg once daily and increase after 14 days to a maximum dosage of 17.8 mg once daily
4. If one contraception they should use an alternative non-hormonal contraceptive method during treatment and for at least 21 days after stopping treatment with Pitolisant.
Pitolisant will interact with the following drugs:
1. Paroxetine, Fluoxetine, Bupropion
2. Rifampin, Carbamazepine, Phenytoin
3. Pheniramine Maleate, Diphenhydramine, Promethazine
4. Imipramine, Clomipramine, Mirtazapine
5. Quinidine, Procainamide, Disopyramide, Amiodarone, Sotalol
6. Ziprasidone, Chlorpromazine, Thioridazine
7. Antibiotics: Moxifloxacin
8. Midazolam, Hormonal Contraceptives, Cyclosporine.
Tablets: Store at room temperature 20-25o C
Excursions permitted from 15°C to 30°C
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!