This medication is a potent sympathomimetic amine, prescribed for acute hypotensive state occurring with spinal anesthesia. It is also used as an adjuvant for the treatment of hypotension due to bleeding.
Concomitant use of cyclopropane or halothane anesthesia should be avoided.
Adult- IM/SC- The recommended dose is 2 to 10 mg (0.2 to 1mL).
IV- The recommended dose is 15 to 100 mg.
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein, muscle or under the skin.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of atherosclerosis, diabetes, Buerger's disease, overactive thyroid, high blood pressure, heart disease, cirrhosis, malaria, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may develop increased risk of liver damage, and abnormal heart rhythm, which may cause death in patients with Laennec's cirrhosis; consult with your healthcare provider about this before taking this medication.
• Monitor central venous pressure and heart function regularly while taking this medication.
• Heart :
Fast heart rhythm, high or low blood pressure, heart arrest, palpitations and flushing.
• Central Nervous System : Headache, dizziness, and fearful emotion.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea.
• Miscellaneous : Sweating, abscess formation, tissue necrosis and sloughing at injection site.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!