This medication is an antifungal agent, prescribed for serious infections (eg- candida, meningitis and pulmonary infections) caused by certain fungi either alone or with other medications. It works by slowing the growth of fungi that cause infection.
Contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to the drug.
Adult- PO- The usual dosage is 50 to 150 mg/kg/day administered in divided doses at 6-hour intervals.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of bone marrow or blood problems, kidney impairment, who are taking other medications, any allergy, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may reduce platelet counts; avoid injury or bruising.
• Monitor complete blood cell counts, kidney and liver function tests, and blood electrolyte levels regularly while taking this medication.Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• Heart :
Heart arrest, myocardial toxicity and ventricular dysfunction.
• Respiratory : Respiratory arrest, chest pain and difficulty in breathing.
• Skin : Rash, itching, hives and sensitivity to light.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, loss of appetite, dry mouth, duodenal ulcer, gastrointestinal bleeding, acute liver injury, liver dysfunction, jaundice, ulcerative colitis, increased level of liver enzymes.
• Genitourinary : Creatinine and BUN elevation, crystal in urine and kidney failure.
• Blood : Anemia, eosinophilia, decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
• Central Nervous System : Incoordination, hearing loss, headache, tingling, Parkinsonism, peripheral neuropathy, fever, fainting, sleepiness, epilepsy, confusion, hallucinations and psychosis.
• Miscellaneous : Fatigue, decrease in blood potassium and sugar level, weakness, allergic reactions, Lyell's syndrome.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!