This medication is an adrenergic and dopaminergic cardiac stimulant, prescribed for heart failure.
Contraindicated in patients with pheochromocytoma, uncorrected tachyarrhythmias or ventricular fibrillation and hypersensitivity.
Important- This is a potent drug: It must be diluted before administration to the patient.
Adult: IV- The recommended initial dose is 1-5 mcg/kg/min, up to 5-10 mcg/kg/min according to patient's response.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of thickening and hardening of arteries, Raynaud's disease, Buerger's disease, diabetic endarteritis, increase in diastolic pressure, who are taking other medications, any allergy, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Monitor urine flow, cardiac output and blood pressure regularly while taking this medication.
• Blood volume should be corrected before infusion of this medication.
• Heart :
Abnormal heart rhythm, fast heart rate, chest pain, palpitations, slow heart rate, low blood pressure, high blood pressure, narrowing of the blood vessels.
• Respiratory : Difficulty in breathing.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting.
• Metabolic : Elevated BUN (blood urea nitrogen).
• Central Nervous System : Headache, anxiety.
• Skin : Piloerection (erection of the hair of the skin).
• Others : Gangrene of the extremities.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15°-30°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!