This medication is an iron-chelating agent, prescribed for acute iron poisoning and iron overload due to blood transfusion. It works by attaching to iron in the body so that it can be excreted in feces.
Contraindicated in patients with severe kidney disease or anuria (absence of urination), and hypersensitivity.
IM- The recommended dose is 1000 mg should be administered initially. This may be followed by 500 mg every 4 hours for two doses.
IV- The rate of infusion should not exceed 15 mg/kg/hr for the first 1000 mg administered. It may be reduced if needed.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein or into the large muscle.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of brain or kidney disease, heart failure, certain blood disorder (thalassemia), low blood protein level, hemochromatosis, and any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, changes in vision or hearing, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid taking large amount of vitamin C while using this medication.
• Avoid contact with people who have infections.
• At the Injection Site :
Localized irritation, pain, burning, swelling, induration, infiltration, itching, redness, wheal formation, tissue death and crust.
• Hypersensitivity : Generalized rash, hives and life threatening allergic reactions with or without shock.
• Body as a Whole : Joint pain, fever, headache, muscle pain, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, or asthma.
• Heart : Fast heart rate and low blood pressure.
• Gastrointestinal : Abdominal discomfort and diarrhea.
• Blood : Blood dyscrasias.
• Liver : Increased level of liver enzyme and liver dysfunction.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle spasms.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, nerve disease, and epilepsy.
• Eye and ENT : Blurred vision, loss of vision, night blindness, and visual field defects.
• Respiratory : Acute respiratory distress syndrome, difficulty in breathing, bluish, and lung infection.
• Skin : Rash.
• Genitourinary : Painful urination and kidney failure.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it in room temperature (25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!