This medication is a vitamer (varied chemical substances) of vitamin B12, used in treating anemia, folic acid deficiency, neuropathies (damage in the nerves of peripheral nervous system), prophylaxis, and psychiatric disorders. Recommended for patients with the condition of pancreatic tumor.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity, Leber’s Disease (damage in the optic nerve leading to blindness).
Adult: IM- 250-1,000 mcg on alternate days for 1-2 week, then 250 mcg weekly. Maintenance: 1,000-mcg monthly.
It comes as a solution (liquid) to be injected into the muscle or under the skin, without food.
• Do not substitute folic acid for this medication.
• Perform lab tests for blood regularly, to monitor the progress.
• Avoid alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney and liver disease, pregnancy, breast-feeding and allergy to cobalt.
Swelling of lungs, chest pain, congestive heart failure, clot in blood vessels.
• Blood: Blood disorder.
• Gastrointestinal: Mild transient diarrhea.
• Skin: Itching; hives, rash, transitory exanthema (eruption of the skin).
• Miscellaneous: Swelling of entire body.
• Central Nervous System (CNS) : Headache, dizziness.
• Musculoskeletal: Muscle weakness, cramps, leg pain.
• Genitourinary: Frequent urination.
Take full course of treatment.
Normally stored by healthcare providers in room temperature in vertical position.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!