Information about Aspirin and Codeine
Generic Name : Aspirin and Codeine
Pronunciation : as' pir in- koe' deen
Latest prescription information about Aspirin and Codeine. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
ICD Code : Y45.1
Therapeutic Classification : Analgesics
Trade Names/Brand Names of Aspirin and Codeine
India- Codopyrin, Apidin
International- Empirin codeine.
Why is Aspirin and Codeine Prescribed? (Indications)
This medication is an analgesic combination, prescribed for moderate to severe pain. It reduces substances in the body that cause pain, fever, and inflammation.
When should Aspirin and Codeine not be taken? (Contraindications)
Contraindicated in patients with history of severe bleeding problems, liver damage, who are taking anticoagulant medications and hypersensitivity.
What is the dosage of Aspirin and Codeine?
Dose is based on patients condition and response to the medication.
Adult- The recommended dose for aspirin 325mg and codeine 30 mg is one or two tablets every four hours.
How should Aspirin and Codeine be taken?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
What are the warnings and precautions for Aspirin and Codeine?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of bleeding disorder (hemophilia, von Willebrand's disease), ulcer, liver or kidney disease, alcoholism, anemia, lung or thyroid disease, prostate enlargement, trouble in urinating, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
Avoid alcohol consumption.
It may develop Reye syndrome in children and in teenagers who have any infection; so special caution needed.
What are the side effects of Aspirin and Codeine?
• Most Frequent : Lightheadedness, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, constipation and difficulty in breathing. .
• Allergic Reactions : Skin rashes, hives, runny nose, asthma, abdominal pain and anaphylactic shock. .
• Gastrointestinal : Indigestion and heartburn.
• Blood : Abnormal bruising or bleeding and anemia.
• Central Nervous System : Weakness and fatigue.
What are the other precautions for Aspirin and Codeine?
Patient may develop with increased risk of anaphylactic shock; if it so consult with your doctor immediately.
Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may lead to stomach bleeding.
What are the storage conditions for Aspirin and Codeine?
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.