This medication is an antitoxin, prescribed for the treatment of envenomation caused by bites of crotalids (pit vipers)including rattlesnakes, copperhead and cottonmouth moccasins, and others.
IV- The recommended initial dose is 5 to 10 mL to infuse over a 3- to 5-minute period.
To be most effective, a dose should be administered within 4 hours of the bite; it is less effective when given after 8 hours and may be of questionable value after 12 hours.
However, it is recommended that antivenom therapy be given in severe poisonings, even if 24 hours have elapsed since the time of the bite.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution needed for patient with allergy.
• Hypersensitivity : Flushing, itching, hives, swelling of the face, tongue, and throat, cough, difficulty in breathing, cyanosis, collapse and serum sickness.
• Nervous system : Ataxia and headache.
• Gastrointestinal : Vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.
• Skin : Rash and irritation of skin.
• Muscloskeletal : Muscle pain and fatigue.
• Heart : Chest tightness and palpitations.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store original, unused (not reconstituted) vials at temperatures not exceeding 98°F (37°C) -Do not freeze.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!