Information about Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan
Generic Name : Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan
Pronunciation : am-LOE-di-peen- OL-me-SAR-tan- HYE-droe-KLOR-oh-THYE-a-zide
Latest prescription information about Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Trade Names/Brand Names of Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan
Why is Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan Prescribed? (Indications)
This combination medication contains amlodipine which is a channel blocker, Olmesartan an angiotensin II receptor blocker, and thiazide diuretic, prescribed for high blood pressure.
When should Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan not be taken? (Contraindications)
What is the dosage of Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan?
The maximum recommended dose is 40/10/25 mg. Available doses are 20 /5 /12.5 mg, 40 /5 /12.5 mg, 40 /5 /25 mg, 40 /10 /12.5 mg, 40 /10 /25 mg.
How should Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan be taken?
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
What are the warnings and precautions for Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of gallbladder, liver, or kidney problems; asthma, gout, lupus, low blood pressure, blood vessel problems, heart disease, high blood cholesterol, stroke, heart attack, low blood electrolyte levels, fluid retention, who are taking other medications, any allergy, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It is not indicated for initial therapy.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• When taken too close to bedtime, patient might need to wake up to urinate. Therefore, it is best to take this medication at least 4 hours before bedtime.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• Monitor blood pressure, sugar, kidney function, and blood electrolyte levels regularly while taking this medication.
• ♦Patient may develop increased risk due to Dual Blockade of the Renin-Angiotensin System (RAS).
• It will cause birth defect or fetal and new born death if used during pregnancy. Therefore, it is important to prevent pregnancy while on this medication.
• Tribenzor therapy should not be given with lithium due to the hydrochlorothiazide component, which causes reduced renal clearance of the lithium causing lithium toxicity.
What are the side effects of Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan?
• Most Common:
Dizziness, lightheadedness, swelling in the extremities, headache, fatigue, inflammation of the nasopharynx, muscle spasms, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, diarrhea, urinary tract infection, joint swelling.
• Heart :
Abnormal heart rhythm, fast or slow heart rate, chest pain, low blood pressure, fainting, inflammation of the blood vessels.
• Central Nervous System :
Sensory loss, tingling, tremor, sexual dysfunction, sleeplessness, nervousness, depression, abnormal dreams, anxiety, feeling like you might pass out and depersonalization.
• Gastrointestinal :
Loss of appetite, constipation, indigestion, difficulty in swallowing, flatulence, inflammation of pancreas, vomiting, tender, bleeding, or swollen gums.
• General :
Allergic reactions, weakness, back pain, hot flushes, uneasiness, pain, rigors, weight gain, and loss, swelling in hands, ankles, or feet.
• Musculoskeletal :
Joint pain, muscle pain, degenerative disease of a joint, muscle cramps.
• Respiratory :
Difficulty in breathing, nosebleed.
• Skin :
Angioedema, itching, rash.
• Eye and ENT :
Abnormal vision, eye inflammation, double vision, yellowing of the eyes, eye pain, and ringing in the ear.
• Genitourinary :
Reduced urinary frequency, and nighttime urination, dark urine, pale stools and pain or burning while urinating.
• Metabolic :
Increased blood sugar, increased thirst and sweating, dry mouth.
• Blood :
Decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
What are the other precautions for Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Amlodipine Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan?
Store at 25°C.
Last Updated : August 2013