Albumin human is derived from human plasma, used to treat shock as a result of blood loss in the body (hypovolemia), burns, low protein levels (hypoproteinemia) due to surgery or liver failure, adult respiratory distress syndrome, dialysis, and as an additional medicine in bypass surgery.
It increases blood plasma volume or serum albumin levels.
Contraindicated in patients with heart failure, severe anemia, history of hypersensitivity, parenteral nutrition (intravenous feeding of a person).
Adult: IV- Acute hypovolemic shock- Initial: 25 g, adjust according to response. Usual rate: Up to 5 ml/min using 5% solution.
Hypoproteinaemia- Up to 2 g/kg/day. Usual rate: Up to 5 ml/min using 5% solution.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution needed for patients with hypertension or low cardiac reserve, pulmonary edema and severe anemia.
• Administration of additional fluids for dehydrated patients.
• Monitor for signs of cardiac overload in injured or postoperative patients.
• It may carry risk of viral transmission.
• Blood volume administration and rate of infusion must always be individualized according to situation and response.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart, kidney, and liver diseases.
• Do not use sterile water for injection as a diluent, as this may cause haemolysis in recipients. It can also be diluted in an isotonic solution (e.g. 5% glucose or 0.9% sodium chloride).
Nausea, fever, chills, flushing, hives, skin rash, itching, headache, breathing difficulty, severe stomach cramps, vomiting or diarrhea, sudden unexpected changes in blood pressure, rapid heart beat or allergic reactions may occasionally occur.
• Potentially Fatal: Anaphylactic shock.
Harmful during pregnancy, lactation.
Do not use solutions, which are cloudy or have deposits.
Do not use plastic containers in series connections.
Such use could result in air embolism due to residual air being drawn from the primary container before the administration of the fluid from the secondary container is complete.
Store below 30°C. Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!