Information about Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine
Generic Name : Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine
Latest prescription information about Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine. Learn its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Trade Names/Brand Names of Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine
Why is Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine Prescribed? (Indications)
Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine is used to treat HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer, a specific type of breast cancer that has moved to other parts of the body.
It is used in patients who already received trastuzumab combination with other cancer treating drugs or who showed cancer recurrence.
When should Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine not be taken? (Contraindications)
What is the dosage of Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine?
IV- The recommended dose is 3.6 mg/kg every 3 weeks (21-day cycle).
How should Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine be taken?
It comes as powder for injection (diluted with fluid), to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
What are the warnings and precautions for Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine?
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or heart problem, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Ado-trastuzumab emtansine should not be administered at doses greater than 3.6 mg/kg.
• Should not substitute for or with trastuzumab.
• Monitor platelet counts prior to each dose of this drug administration.
• Perform HER2 testing while taking this medication.
• Discontinue this medication in patients diagnosed with interstitial lung disease or pneumonitis.
What are the side effects of Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine?
• Serious Effects :
Lung problems, injection site reactions, nerve damage, heart damage, embryo-fetal toxicity.
• Most Common :
Fatigue, nausea, muscle and bone pain, decrease in platelet counts, headache, increased level of liver enzymes and constipation.
• Miscellaneous :
Tiredness, liver problems, nerve problems.
What are the other precautions for Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine?
Avoid excess dosage.
What are the storage conditions for Ado-trastuzumab Emtansine?
Store vials in a refrigerator at 2°C to 8°C.
Last Updated : Jul 2018