This medication blocks the nerve signals to muscles thereby causing relaxation of the muscles.
Allergy to the drug or its components
Infection at the proposed site of injection
Cervical dystonia, a condition where there is stiffening of the neck muscles that keeps the head in a twisted position. It is used in a dose of 250 to 1000 units injected into the neck muscle every 12 weeks
In cosmetic surgery to smoothen wrinkles
Other conditions like excessive sweating in the palms, excessive salivation, or spasms of lower end of the foodpipe
It comes as a powder which is made into a solution for injection, and is administered by a healthcare provider.
• Patients with nerve or muscle problems (e.g. myasthenia gravis, Lambert-Eaton syndrome) may experience excessive weakness
• Patients with bleeding disorders may experience bleeding at the injection site
• Muscle relaxants or drugs interfering with nerve transmission can increase muscle weakness, and therefore should be avoided.
• Cannot be substituted for other botulinum toxins
• Caution is advised when used in pregnancy, breastfeeding, elderly and children
• Spread of toxin effects are reported away from the injection sites which involves muscle weakness and vision disturbances. It is advised to recognise the symptoms earlier and should not perform skilled tasks such as driving or operating machinery.
• People may find difficulty in breathing and it is necessary to call for a emergency help if the symptoms gets worser.
• Patients with swallowing difficulty may need a feeding tube to receive food supplements and liquids.
Store it in refrigerator (2-8°C). Do not freeze.
Tourette syndrome (TS) is a neurological disorder wherein the affected person makes repetitive and ...
Some drugs or therapeutic agents cause undesirable reactions in lungs, known as drug-induced ...
Sleep disorders are collectively known as ''Somnipathy.'' There are over 70 different medically ...View All