Information about Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection
Generic Name : Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection
Pronunciation : A-bo-BOT-ue-li-num-TOX-in-A
Latest prescription information about Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, special precautions, warnings and its storage instructions . Also listed are the International and Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Therapeutic Classification : Neurotoxins
Trade Names/Brand Names of Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection
Why is Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection Prescribed? (Indications)
Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection is a neurotoxin produced by Clostridium botulinum temporarily reduces the symptoms of cervical dystonia, a condition of overactive muscle movement resulting in tightening of the neck muscles causing neck pain and abnormal head positions.
When should Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection not be taken? (Contraindications)
Allergy to the drug or its components
Infection at the proposed site of injection
What is the dosage of Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection?
Cervical dystonia, a condition where there is stiffening of the neck muscles that keeps the head in a twisted position. It is used in a dose of 250 to 1000 units injected into the neck muscle every 12 weeks
In cosmetic surgery to smoothen wrinkles
Other conditions like excessive sweating in the palms, excessive salivation, or spasms of lower end of the foodpipe
How should Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection be taken?
It comes as a powder which is made into a solution for injection, and is administered by a healthcare provider.
What are the warnings and precautions for Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection?
• Patients with nerve or muscle problems (e.g. myasthenia gravis, Lambert-Eaton syndrome) may experience excessive weakness
• Patients with bleeding disorders may experience bleeding at the injection site
• Muscle relaxants or drugs interfering with nerve transmission can increase muscle weakness, and therefore should be avoided.
• Cannot be substituted for other botulinum toxins
• Caution is advised when used in pregnancy, breastfeeding, elderly and children
What are the other precautions for Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection?
• Spread of toxin effects are reported away from the injection sites which involves muscle weakness and vision disturbances. It is advised to recognise the symptoms earlier and should not perform skilled tasks such as driving or operating machinery.
• People may find difficulty in breathing and it is necessary to call for a emergency help if the symptoms gets worser.
• Patients with swallowing difficulty may need a feeding tube to receive food supplements and liquids.
What are the storage conditions for Abobotulinumtoxin A Injection?
Store it in refrigerator (2-8°C). Do not freeze.
Last Updated : Jul 2018