- Yeast food to promote the growth of baker's yeast - Ammonium sulphate
- Firming agents for fruits and vegetables - Calcium chloride
- Anti-sticking agents - Hydrogenated sperm oil used as a lubricant in baking pans
- Clarifying agents in wine -Bentonite
- Meat curing agents -Sodium nitrate
- Crystal inhibitors - Oxystearin used in vegetable oil
- Growth stimulants in malting barley - Gibberellic acid
Sometimes a food additive may be familiar, but the name appears new. Like in the case of ascorbic acid, which is the other name for Vitamin C.
- Food Science: Third Addition - By Norman Potter
- Anticaking Agents - (http://www.foodadditivesworld.com/anticaking-agents.html)
- Hydrogenated Sperm Oil: Sec 173.275, of Ch 1 "Food and Drug Administration, Dept of Health and Human Services", Code of Federal Regulations.