- Cannabis is produced from dried leaves from the Hemp plant, 'Cannabis Sativa'.
- The active
- An interesting point about marihuana is that it makes some people lose focus on events around them, while it elevates the physical sensations in others.
- Cannabis is a drug that affects an individual by acting on the brain.
- 50 percent of the chemicals that make up Cannabis are the potent 'cannabinoids', of which the most active is D-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (D9-THC).
- Traveling through the blood stream the chemicals bind to specific receptors in the brain causing changes in the nerve cells resulting in specific effects.
- Marihuana 'high' is felt as the THC reaches the brain through the blood within 5 minutes of intake, and the effect may last up to 5 hours.
What is New in Cannabis?
1. Smoking Marijuana may Turn You into Cigarette Smokers tooIf a person is only used to smoking marijuana (weed) chances are that that person may later end up smoking cigarettes, finds a new study. According to the researchers, cannabis use is associated with an increased initiation of cigarette smoking among non-cigarette smokers.Read More..
Latest Publications and Research on CannabisMedical cannabis legalization and state-level prevalence of serious mental illness in the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH) 2008-2015. - Published by PubMed
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and addictions (substance and behavioral): Prevalence and characteristics in a multicenter study in France. - Published by PubMed
Challenging perceptions: medical cannabis. - Published by PubMed
Trends in Lifetime use of Tobacco, Alcohol, and Cannabis among Arkansas Teens from 1995 to 2013. - Published by PubMed
Venus and Mars on the benches of the faculty: Influence of gender on mental health and behavior of medical students. Results from the BOURBON national study. - Published by PubMed