Physical discomfort or an emotional outburst may cause a toddler to throw a tantrum. This may come out of the blue and take you completely by surprise. What needs to be understood here is not every show of anger or insolence is a tantrum. The occurrence is unpleasant for both the toddler and you. Read on about some situations that would help you understand why toddlers throw tantrums, how to handle these situations, and the age at which when children throw most tantrums.
When Do Tantrums Start? When Do They Stop?
Children throw tantrums only after they are 9 months of age, and get into the mode of springing ‘fully blown’ episodes when they are 10 months to 4 years old. Parents who have failed to pay attention to their child’s behavior and daily routine can be in for a shock at the state of affairs, but they have only themselves to blame for not having spent more time with the child. A child can continue to behave ‘badly’ beyond the age of 4 years, in which case, a different approach is taken to handle outbursts.
Why Do Toddlers Throw Tantrums?
Even the most well-behaved baby can have a bad day and make things difficult for its parents. Your child is exploring the world around him with all his senses. He’s trying to master his environment and failure to achieve results may lead to venting frustrations, and hence throwing a tantrum. For the child, it is the only way to ease its anxiety. There could be many causes behind your baby’s tantrums, but there’s nothing that cannot be handled. The primary reasons for tantrums are:
- Your child is trying to request you to do something about a situation
- He’s trying to seek attention
- He’s trying to escape from a situation
- Aggravated emotions/frustration
- Agitation/uneasiness (diaper discomfort, teething, upset stomach)
- Change of place
- Lack of acknowledgment
- Overcrowded surroundings/stimulation
- Parents who are otherwise busy, and suddenly find themselves disciplining their child
- Tactics for tackling toddlers’ temper tantrums - (http://babysleepoby.wordpress.com/2008/12/07/tactics-for-tackling-a-toddlers-temper-tantrum)
- Tantrum Therapy - (http://www.tantrumtherapy.com/?gclid=CKP_gPjRjKoCFQ166wodPW4szg)
- Tackling toddler tantrums - (http://www.diyfather.com/content/tackling-toddler-tantrums)
Latest Publications and Research on Can You Cope with Your Children’s Tantrums?
- Is there an association between full IQ score and mental health problems in young adults? A study with a convenience sample. - Published by PubMed
- Effects of an educational intervention based on the multi-theory model on promoting the quality of life in postmenopausal women: a protocol. - Published by PubMed
- A National Survey Across Primary Care Pediatricians Regarding Immunization Views and Practices in Children With Rheumatic Diseases. - Published by PubMed
- Identifying Adolescents at Risk for Depression: A Prediction Score Performance in Cohorts Based in Three Different Continents. - Published by PubMed
- Temporal resolution enhancement of dynamic MRI sequences within a motion-based framework. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Sherley Pothen. (2018, December 31). Can You Cope with Your Children’s Tantrums?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/can-you-cope-with-your-childrens-tantrums.htm.
Sherley Pothen. "Can You Cope with Your Children’s Tantrums?". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/can-you-cope-with-your-childrens-tantrums.htm>.
Sherley Pothen. "Can You Cope with Your Children’s Tantrums?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/can-you-cope-with-your-childrens-tantrums.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Sherley Pothen. 2021. Can You Cope with Your Children’s Tantrums?. Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/can-you-cope-with-your-childrens-tantrums.htm.