What is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome?
Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is a rare disorder leading to chronic pain in an arm or leg, rarely other parts of the body. Usually it follows injury but may occur after surgery, stroke or a
It is a rare condition with a reported incidence of 26 per 100,000 in Europe. The incidence rises with increasing age with a peak incidence around 40 years, and is more common in women. The arm is affected more often than the leg. It is rare in the older age group. It is uncommon in children with peak incidence during adolescence and is more often reported in the lower limb. Again the incidence is much higher in girls than in boys.
What are the Causes and Risk Factors of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
The cause of complex regional pain syndrome is unclear but is believed to be due to damage or injury to the nervous system leading to inappropriate and abnormal pain response. As stated previously, it mostly follows traumatic injury such as
- Sprains or muscle pulls
- Minor cuts and bruises
- Crush injury
- Minor injury such as needle pricks
Risk Factors of CRPS
- Immobilization of the affected limb
- Having a sibling with young age at onset of CRPS
- History of migraine or asthma
- Ingestion of
angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitorsat the time of injury
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome - (https://familydoctor.org/condition/complex-regional-pain-syndrome/)
- Complex regional pain syndrome- Signs and symptoms - (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/complex-regional-pain-syndrome/)
- What Is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Crps)? - (http://www.painrelieffoundation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/DEALING-WITH-PAIN-CRPS1.pdf)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. (2018, September 21). Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) . Medindia. Retrieved on Mar 20, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/complex-regional-pain-syndrome.htm.
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. "Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) ". Medindia. Mar 20, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/complex-regional-pain-syndrome.htm>.
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. "Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/complex-regional-pain-syndrome.htm. (accessed Mar 20, 2023).
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. 2021. Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) . Medindia, viewed Mar 20, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/complex-regional-pain-syndrome.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
- [Treatment strategies of patients with transthyretin amyloidosis cardiomyopathy]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the relationship between circular RNA and cardiovascular diseases]. - Published by PubMed
- [Research progress on the association between intestinal flora and hypertension]. - Published by PubMed
- [Successful emergency hybrid treatment for aortic rupture in a pregnant patient with congenital aortic coarctation]. - Published by PubMed
- [A case of perforated esophageal ulcer after radiofrequency ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation]. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Orthopedic Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
38 years experience
7 years experience
Ashirwad Hospital, Vidhya Nagar , BEED