About My Health Careers Internship MedBlogs Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Swallowing Button Cell Batteries Can Cause Severe Health Damage in Kids

by Adeline Dorcas on February 12, 2019 at 11:43 AM
Font : A-A+

Swallowing Button Cell Batteries Can Cause Severe Health Damage in Kids

Swallowing button cell batteries can lead to severe health damage in infants and small children, reports a new study.

"We, therefore, advise all parents to keep button cells out of the reach of infants and small children. Once a button cell has been swallowed, the person should be treated in the hospital without delay," recommends BfR President, Professor Dr. Dr. Andreas Hensel.

Advertisement


Due to the increasing distribution of battery-operated devices in all walks of life, children can come more and more in contact with button cells and swallow them. Complications could arise if the battery gets stuck in the esophagus, because current starts to flow when contact is made with the moist mucosa. Hydroxide ions, which can cause severe chemical burns, are formed in the border area between the button cell and the mucosa. There is a special risk for small children if they swallow large button cells (over 20 mm in diameter), because it is highly likely that these will get stuck in the narrow esophagus of small children.

If the button cell can pass through the esophagus, complications are rarely to be expected. In cases of this kind it is usually sufficient to wait for the natural excretion of the battery under medical supervision.
Advertisement

If the button cell gets stuck in the esophagus, no symptoms or only slight discomfort are developed initially. Vomiting, loss of appetite, fever or coughing set in after several hours. As time progresses, more and more tissue damage is caused at the contact point between the battery and the esophagus which can lead to bleeding and necrotization of the tissue. The esophagus can scar and constrict as sequela. In rare cases, the complications can result in death.

The more the battery is charged, the more severe the health damage can be.

The BfR recommends immediate examination in a children's clinic if there is justified suspicion that a button cell battery has been swallowed.

Doctors must report cases of poisoning, including suspected cases, to the documentation and assessment point for intoxications at the BfR. In addition to cases of poisoning through chemical substances and poisonous plants, this obligation to notify also covers the swallowing of button cells and the risk of chemical burns that this involves. The basis for the obligation to notify is Art. 16e of German Chemicals Act.

Source: Eurekalert
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
News Category
What's New on Medindia
Contraceptive Pills in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Curtail Type 2 Diabetes Risk
Mushroom May Help Cut Down the Odds of Developing Depression
How to Battle Boredom during COVID
View all

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Tongue Abnormalities Parkinsons Disease Surgical Treatment Height and Weight-Kids Health Insurance - India 

Recommended Reading
Two Children Swallowed Button Batteries from Fidget Spinners
Two young children swallowed button batteries from fidget spinners causing burns to their ......
Ingesting Honey After Swallowing Button Battery Reduces Injury: Study
Honey and sucralfate showed the most protective effects against button battery injury, making the .....
Many Kids Swallowing Tiny Batteries
As batteries become smaller and smaller, their use in kids toys is posing a serious health risk ......
Health Insurance - India
Health insurance has emerged as one of the fastest growing segments in the non-life insurance indust...
Tongue Abnormalities
Tongue is the only muscle that is attached to only one end. The abnormalities of the tongue include ...

Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

© All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2021

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use