- Gelatin is an important source of protein.
- Gelatin supplement boosted collagen synthesis.
- Collagen is the key protein present in the connective tissues of animals.
- It may be helpful for athletes, elderly and others who need more joint support.
Gelatin supplement and burst of intensive exercise can help build ligaments, tendons and bones.
Connective tissue and bone injuries are common in athletes and older people. Injuries interfere with the person's ability to exercise - be it an elite athlete or anyone trying to lose weight. Methods that can prevent injury and aid in speedy recovery are of great interest.
Gelatin Supplements For Your Joints
To study the effect of a supplement on the knee tissues; Baar's laboratory developed techniques to grow artificial ligaments in the lab. The lab-dish ligaments were used for further research.
Blood samples were drawn from the study participants and tested for amino acids that could build up collagen protein. The collagen protein comprises of tendons, ligaments and bones. The blood samples were also tested for their effect on the lab-grown ligaments.
The team found that gelatin supplement enhanced with vitamin C was found to increase blood levels of amino acids and markers linked to collagen synthesis and improve the working of the engineered lab-grown ligaments.
The research team suggests that gelatin supplement may be useful to prevent injury and enhance recovery.
Gelatin is a protein obtained by boiling skin, tendons, ligaments and bones with water. It is obtained from cows or pig. Gelatin is not vegan.
In some cases gelatin is obtained from a product called agar agar derived from a type of seaweed.
Gelatin can be obtained from diet. Bone soups (fish, chicken or mutton bones) contain high amounts of gelatin and collagen that aids in skeletal support.
Gelatin plays an important role in the following industries
- Calcium to keep bones, nerves and muscles in good form. Food sources include dairy products, green leafy vegetables, soy beans, nuts and fish (sardines).
- Vitamin D synthesized by the sun to keep bones strong. Vitamin D rich foods include sardines, eggs, fortified breakfast cereals.
- Protein rich foods are essential for bone mass during childhood and teenage years.
- Zinc for bone tissue renewal.
- Shaw G, Lee-Barthel A, Ross MLR, Wang B, Baar K.Vitamin C-enriched Gelatin Supplementation Before Intermittent Activity Augments Collagen Synthesis; The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition ; (2016) DOI:10.3945/ajcn.116.138594
- What is Gelatin Made Of - (http://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/what-is-gelatin-made-of/)
- Gelatin Applications - (http://www.gelatine.org/applications/gelatine/specialties.html)
- Nutrition for Healthy Bones - (https://www.iofbonehealth.org/sites/default/files/PDFs/good_nutrition_for_healthy_bones.pdf)