Researchers analyzed several studies that considered the possible association of milk with the risk of high blood pressure. The results of their analysis were presented at the 12th Euro Fed Lipid Congress in Montpellier, France.
The researchers analyzed data from 57,256 individuals and 15,367 cases of hypertension. They found that a higher intake of total dairy, low-fat dairy and milk was associated with a reduced risk for high blood pressure. As high blood pressure is a risk factor for heart disease, milk could consequently protect against heart disease as well.
Milk is the first food of a baby. It provides nutrition, promotes growth and is easily digestible. Beside children, even adults experience the benefits of milk, though many adults do not take it on a regular basis. They, however, have the option of consuming milk products which may be more palatable to them like yogurt, cheese etc., or adding flavors as per their wish. Here are some of the benefits of milk:
• Milk is rich in protein. Protein promotes growth of tissues, including muscle and bones.
• Milk is an important source of calcium, phosphorus and potassium. Vitamin D which is often added to milk, helps in the absorption of calcium, which in turn strengthens the bones. The calcium and potassium content may contribute to lowering blood pressure and preventing heart disease.
• Milk contains fat in varying amounts. Though, high fat milk is usually not advised for people with high cholesterol levels, these individuals have the option of low-fat milk, or low-fat milk products that retain the other benefits of milk.
• Milk also helps to replace fluid in the body and contribute to the total fluid intake in a person.
• Some forms of milk like buttermilk and yogurt are easily digestible. They contain probiotic bacteria and help in resolving several gastrointestinal problems.
Some people may be intolerant to lactose and cannot consume milk or milk products. For others, it is a source of important nutrients. The revelation that milk can control blood pressure adds to the benefits of milk, and hopefully makes it more desirable.
- » News Central
- » Popular News
- » Latest Health News
- » News Category A-Z (500+)
- » Health News and Press Release
- » News Archive
- » News Photo Gallery
- » Lifestyle and Wellness
- » Health Watch
- » Health In Focus
- » Celebrating Life
- » Breaking Health News
- » News From Other Resources
- » India Special
- » News Video Gallery
- » Medindia Exclusive - Interviews and In depth Reports