According to Newcastle City Council and the Health Protection Agency, preliminary tests on four people taken ill after the event had confirmed Salmonella. More than 200 people have reported symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting. People took to social media to report their sickness.
Stephen Savage, director of regulatory services and public protection at Newcastle City Council, announced that they are working closely with the event organizers to identify the source of the outbreak. The director has urged the people with symptoms to contact them.
Affected people are advised to avoid going to work until the symptoms subside. In most cases, treatment is not required and normal health is restored within 4 to 7 days.