About Careers Internship MedBlog Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Environmental Toxins may Accelerate Aging Process

by Kathy Jones on May 30, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Font : A-A+

 Environmental Toxins may Accelerate Aging Process

A new study conducted by researchers at University of North Carolina suggests that toxins present in the environment may be accelerating the aging process.

According to the researchers, just 30 percent of the aging process could be attributed to genetic processes, which meant that the remaining 70 percent was caused by exposure to environment factors. The researchers conducted their study on a group of mice, exposing them to the environmental factors that affect aging, or gerontogens, such as cigarette smoke, UV light etc.

Advertisement

The mice were then analyzed for accumulation of senescence, a biological process in which healthy cells are damaged and lose their ability to divide. The researchers found that mice exposed to cigarette smoke and UV light displayed accelerated aging compared to those that were obese or exposed to arsenic. The study has been published in the journal Trends in Molecular Medicine.

"The rate of physiologic, or molecular, aging differs between individuals in part because of exposure to 'gerontogens' - environmental factors that affect aging. By identifying and avoiding gerontogens, we will be able to influence ageing and life expectancy at a public health level", Dr Sharpless said.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
What's New on Medindia
Test Your Knowledge on Liver Transplantation
Organ Donation Week 2022 - 'Take the Pledge to Save Lives'
Test your Knowledge on Heart Transplantation
View all
Recommended Reading
News Archive
Date
Category
Advertisement
News Category

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Detox Diet Botox Ageing and Sleep Telomere Shortening And Ageing Botulism 

Most Popular on Medindia

Sanatogen Sinopril (2mg) (Lacidipine) How to Reduce School Bag Weight - Simple Tips A-Z Drug Brands in India Color Blindness Calculator Blood - Sugar Chart Hearing Loss Calculator Blood Pressure Calculator Pregnancy Confirmation Calculator Turmeric Powder - Health Benefits, Uses & Side Effects
This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use