Energy drinks can also disrupt sleep patterns, cause heart palpitations and anxiety, contribute to digestive programs, increase blood pressure and lead to dehydration, according to the National Institutes of Health.
‘One couple learned the hard way when the husband was left with a hole in his skull and suffered a brain haemorrhage after what doctors said was due to excessive energy drink consumption.’
A man's energy drink consumption nearly cost him his life after an accident left him with a brain hemorrhage. A woman posted about her family's struggle in a Facebook post that has since been deleted.
One morning, she received a call from the hospital. Her husband had an accident and was now undergoing a life-saving procedure. Doctors had screened for alcohol and drugs, but were able to rule those out as the cause for the hemorrhage. They were then able to conclude that his habit of consuming energy drinks had caused the hole in his head.
His wife says he had begun to drink more of the sugary drinks after working longer hours and commuting more to work. After two rounds of surgery, he was able to return home, but life hasn't returned to normal for the family of three.
The number of energy drink related emergency rooms visited doubled between 2007 and 2011, especially people over the age of 40. Energy drinks can be dangerous for your health, instead drink natural energy boosters like coconut water or banana smoothies.