Read the side effects of Arteether as described in the medical literature. In case of any doubt consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects include
• Cardiac effects such as bradycardia
and QT interval prolongation.
• Neurotoxicity has been shown in animal studies
• Pain at the injection site. This can be overcome by administering repeated injections in alternate thighs.
Other Precautions :
Regimens that include only artemisinin or its derivatives should not be used for less than 7 days because of the unacceptable high levels of remissions or relapses of the condition. Hence, it is recommended that artemisinin derivatives be given for a minimum of 3 days until the patient can take oral therapy of an effective antimalarial to complete 7 days of therapy. Important Precautions are listed below:
• Consult your doctor immediately if your symptoms do not improve, you are unable to eat, or you develop fainting.
• Do not drive or operate machinery
• Do not stop medication
• Finish the entire course of treatment as prescribed
• Inform your doctor if you have existing medical problems including heart problems or HIV
• Inform your doctor of all your other medications
• Monitor blood test once a week
• Take with food
• This medication is only indicated for cases where resistance to quinine is growing