This medication is a multikinase inhibitor, prescribed for gastrointestinal stromal tumor or renal cell carcinoma (RCC), and pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (pNET). It works by preventing the growth of cancer cells.
Contraindicated in patients with severe liver impairment, and hypersensitivity.
For gastrointestinal stromal tumor renal cell carcinoma-
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is one 50 mg once daily, on a schedule of 4 weeks on treatment followed by 2 weeks off.
For pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors -The recommended dose is 37.5 mg taken orally once daily continuously without a scheduled off-treatment period.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of bleeding problem, chest pain, slow, fast, or irregular heartbeat, heart attack, heart failure, high blood pressure, pulmonary embolism (PE; blood clot in the lungs), transient ischemic attack (TIA) (mini-stroke), seizures, stroke, kidney, liver, or thyroid disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may reduce platelet counts; avoid bruising or injury.
• Avoid contact with people who have infections in order to prevent the spread of infection.
• Monitor complete blood cell counts, blood electrolytes, blood pressure checks, thyroid function, liver function, and electrocardiograms (ECG) and other heart function regularly while taking this medication.
• ♦Patient may develop with increased risk of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ) and Tumor lysis syndrome (TLS); before starting this medication consult with your doctor about this.
• Most Common :
Fatigue, weakness, fever, diarrhea, nausea, mouth ulcer, vomiting, indigestion, abdominal pain, constipation, high blood pressure, swelling in the extremities, rash, hand-foot syndrome, skin discoloration, dry skin, hair color changes, altered taste, headache, back pain, joint pain, cough, difficulty in breathing, loss of appetite, and bleeding.
• Gastrointestinal : Dry mouth, reflux, flatulence, mouth pain, burning tongue, and piles.
• Heart : High blood pressure, fluid retention, and chest pain.
• Skin : Hair loss, redness, and itching.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, depression, and sleeplessness.
• Musculoskeletal : Limb discomfort.
• Endocrine : Thyroid deficiency.
• Respiratory : Throat pain and upper respiratory tract infection.
♦• Miscellaneous: Necrotizing fasciitis and pyoderma gangrenosum.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!