This medication is an anti-arrhythmic, prescribed for the treatment of abnormal heart rhythm. It works in the heart to stabilize its action and regulate heartbeat.
Contraindicated in patients with uncontrolled heart failure, marked low blood pressure, slow heart beat and heart block, conduction abnormalities, cardiogenic shock (very low blood pressure due to a heart condition), myasthenia gravis.
Adult: PO- Doses should be started under close monitoring of ECG and BP. Usual initial doses: 150 mg 3 times/day, may increase at intervals of 3-4 days up to 300 mg 3 times/day. Dose reduction is recommended in patients weighing <70 kg.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth. It usually is taken every 8 hours. It should be taken with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of severe pulmonary obstructive diseases, heart failure, cardiac pacemaker, impaired liver or kidney function, elderly, pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Correct electrolyte disturbances before starting treatment.
• It may worsen heart failure in patients with preexisting organic heart disease.
• It may cause new severe ventricular arrhythmias.
• It may make you drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how it affects you.
• ♦Patient may develop with increased risk of Brugada Syndrome.
• Most Common:
Dizziness, chest pain, palpitations, taste disturbance, blurred vision, difficulty in breathing, nausea, constipation, anxiety, fatigue, upper respiratory tract infection, influenza, first-degree heart block, and vomiting.
• Heart: Chest pain, abnormal heart rhythm, slows heart rate, extra heart sounds, swelling.
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, dry mouth, flatulence.
• Central Nervous System: Fatigue, weakness, headache, tremor, depression, drowsiness.
• Respiratory: Upper respiratory tract infection, wheezing, crackles.
• Musculoskeletal: Muscle weakness.
• Skin: Skin discoloration.
• Eye and ENT: Bleeding, eye inflammation, visual disturbance, ringing in the ear, vertigo.
Avoid excess dosage. Consult with your doctor if you are developed with fever, sore throat, or chills.
Oral: Store at 25°C. Store it at room temperature, and in an airtight container. Keep away from excess heat and moisture.