This medication is a dietary supplement, prescribed for calcium deficiency state which may occur in diseases such as decreased levels of parathyroid hormone (acute and chronic), postmenopausal osteoporosis, rickets and osteomalacia (softening of the bones). It is also used as an antacid.
Contraindicated to patients with increased calcium level in blood and/or increased calcium in urine, kidney stone, increased level of vitamin D, and phosphate in blood.
Oral- 1 to 3 chewable tablets containing 500 mg calcium carbonate per day, or as directed by your physician. Maximum dose is 16 tablets/day. For pregnant woman maximum dose is 7 tabs/day.
It comes as a tablet, liquid to take by mouth, after meals.
• Impaired calcium absorption in achlorhydria, which is common in elderly.
• Increased risk of increased calcium level in blood and/or increased calcium in urine in hypo parathyroid patients receiving high doses of vitamin D.
• Caution needed when using in patients with history of kidney stones, kidney impairment.
• Frequent monitoring of serum calcium and phosphorus is recommended.
Slow heart rate, cardiac arrest, abnormal heart rhythm.
• Gastrointestinal: Constipation, loss of appetite, flatulence, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
• Genitourinary: Kidney stone, kidney failure.
• Metabolic: Increased calcium level, muscle weakness, headache, coma.
• Allergic reactions: Itching, rash and hives.
Do not take in larger or smaller quantity or for longer than recommended.
Oral: Store below 25°C. Store it at room temperature and in airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!