» » Chronic Granulomatous Disease-Causes-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Complications

Chronic Granulomatous Disease (CGD)

Rating : 12345
Rate This Article : 1 2 3 4 5
G J 4
A -A +


Chronic granulomatous disease (also known as “Bridges–Good syndrome," "Chronic granulomatous disorder," and "Quie syndrome") is an inherited disorder in which immune system cells called phagocytes malfunction.

In Chronic Granulomatous Disease (CGD) the white blood cells are unable to produce activated O2 compounds (or anti-oxidants), which normally help a person to fight against infection. Thus, this leads to recurrent life-threatening bacterial and fungal infections. There occurs an excessive accumulation of immune cells into aggregates called granulomas.

Diagnosis is done using a test called flow cytometric respiratory burst assay.

Chronic Granulomatous Disease

Treatment is with antibiotics, antifungal drugs, and interferon-.

The disease was first described in the 1950s as “a fatal granulomatosus of childhood". More than half of cases of chronic granulomatous disease are transmitted genetically as an X-linked recessive trait. CGD thus occurs only in males. Most of the patients with CGD present during the first 5 years of life. In the rest inheritance is autosomal recessive. No racial predilection is known.

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions
Very good article. We have an international support group for CGD. CGD Association c/o Mary Hurley We do not have any CGD patients from India on our database. Please forward this information to your CGD patients as it would be good to link patients from India with other patients from India. Thanks, Mary Hurley
MaryHurley Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Ask an Expert

If you have a question about health related issues, you can now post it in our Ask An Expert section on our community website and get answers from our panel of experts.

You May Also Like

View All

Show More Related Topics y