Medindia

X

Tough Mudder Participants Get Diarrhoea After Swallowing Contaminated Mud

by Anubha Sinha on  May 6, 2014 at 3:46 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
Participants of adventure race Tough Mudder fell ill after they swallowed mud contaminated with cattle or swine faeces.
 Tough Mudder Participants Get Diarrhoea After Swallowing Contaminated Mud
Tough Mudder Participants Get Diarrhoea After Swallowing Contaminated Mud
Advertisement

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report, 22 people got sick after getting the infection from the faeces. Participants of the contest include those from military and civilians in top shape. But the CDC said that the stomach bug found in man-made mud fields caused severe diarrhoea.

Advertisement
Campylobacter bacteria strain found in animal faeces caused diarrhoea which showed its symptoms after few days.

"Campylobacter is one of the most common causes of diarrheal illness in the United States. Most persons who become ill with campylobacteriosis get diarrhoea, cramping, abdominal pain, and fever within two to five days after exposure to the organism," said the CDC report.

The report said that participants fell ill after accidentally ingesting contaminated water during the route which was on a cattle ranch. The problem starts in three days after the race and it stays for a week. Twenty out of the 22 participants had to take medical care, the other two went directly to the local emergency department without seeking care. One person was hospitalised and needed antibiotics.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All