A puppy in Melbourne almost died after antifreeze poisoning but was saved at the nick of time due to the timely action of its owner and the presence of mind the vet.
The owners of puppy called Cleo noticed changes as the dog appeared tired and dull. Apparently, the dog had licked the car radiator fluid from the car parts at a friend's garage. Since it was only a 3 kg dog, even a small doze of the anti-freeze was enough for it to be poisoned. The pup needed immediate medical help to survive.
AdvertisementThe owners did not waste any time and went straight to the vet. The best treatment for anti-freeze poisoning is the use of ethanol. In this case since ethanol was not easily available, so the doc used vodka to treat Cleo.
Every few hours the dog was given a 30ml shot of vodka through a tube in her nose. This went on for three days and the dog must've had about one and a half bottles of vodka. Alcohol was able to stop the chemical reaction in the liver, which is crucial to avert potential kidney failure.
The dog is now home and is recovering well.
You May Also Like