Generic Name : Phenelzine Pronunciation : fen' el seen Therapeutic Classification : Psychotherapeutics ICD Code : Y49.1
International- Nardil. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a monoamine oxidase (MAOI) inhibitor, prescribed for depression. It increases the amounts of certain natural substances that are needed to maintain mental balance. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with history of alcoholism and hypersensitivity.
It should not be co-administered with dextromethorphan or with CNS depressants, other MAOIs, buspirone HCl, sympathomimetic drugs, serotoninergic drugs, concurrent administration of a MAO inhibitor. Patients should avoid high protein food, caffeine and high tyramine content food items.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Initial dose: The recommended dose is 1 tablet (15 mg) three times a day.
Early Phase Treatment: Dosage should be increased to at least 60 mg/day.
Maintenance: 15 mg/day. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of asthma, mental disorder, lung inflammation, irregular heartbeat, sugar, epilepsy, overactive thyroid, Parkinson disease, blood disease, kidney problems, suicidal thoughts, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* It may develop increased risk of suicidal thoughts in children and teenagers; watch them carefully.
* It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Central Nervous System - Dizziness, headache, drowsiness, sleep disturbances, fatigue, weakness, tremors, twitching, movement disorders and overactive.
Gastrointestinal - Constipation, dry mouth and gastrointestinal disturbances.
Metabolic - Weight gain.
Heart - Low blood pressure and fluid retention.
Genitourinary - Sexual disturbances, urinary retention, ejaculatory disturbances and impotence.
Skin - Itching, skin rash and increased sweating.
Eye - Blurred vision and increased eye pressure.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store between 15° - 30°C.
Store it at room temperature and away from light.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert